I'm going to Freetown in Sierra Leone in September to work with VSO in the Ola During Children's Hospital. It has very few resources (no X-rays or microbiology!) so will be quite a challenge. Along with looking after sick children I also hope to be training up Sierra Leonean paediatricians and nurses.

Thursday 4 August 2011

Things that have changed about me this year

1) I am more tanned than I have ever been in my life.
2) I have learned to be incredibly patient, but also how to be angry.
3) I have become a lot more sceptical about aid – that’s not to say I don’t agree with it (clearly I wouldn’t be here, nor on the BBC website, if didn’t agree with it!); just that I have learned to question how it is given, how it is implemented and what is actually achieved.
4) I have found that I really enjoy writing my blog!
5) I have learned a LOT about my own limitations, and the limitations of medical science.
6) I am very appreciative of simple things: running water, electricity, time, friends, family, health, laughter, hugs.
7) I hardly ever wear any make-up any more. (I am fairly sure this will change back as soon as I get back to Oxford though!)
8) I am better at coping when things don’t go quite to plan.
9) I am not fazed in the slightest when the electricity goes off.
10) I don’t allow myself to become frustrated at the slow internet.
11) I am much better at coping when the water goes off.
12) I now like drinking beer (but only Star).
13) I have accepted what I cannot change.

No comments:

Post a Comment