I'm going to Freetown in Sierra Leone in September to work with VSO in the Ola During Children's Hospital. It has very few resources (no X-rays or microbiology!) so will be quite a challenge. Along with looking after sick children I also hope to be training up Sierra Leonean paediatricians and nurses.

Thursday 21 July 2011

The Year in Numbers

So the countdown is here. I am nearly at the end of my placement. I am leaving Sierra Leone and will be back home in the UK after 18 sleeps (including the night on the plane). Here’s my year in numbers (so far – I hope I will pack in a few things yet!):

6 trips to Hamilton Beach
4 visitors from home
2 trips to Tokeh Beach
21 books (so far!)
8 visits to IMATT
3 housemates
27 medical students
1 visit to the Mercy Ship (and therefore 1 Starbucks)
2 visits from photographers/journalists
3000 – how much a Star costs at Big Brother
8000 – how much a Star costs at Mamba Point
80-100 lengths at the swimming pool (per visit)
410 – weight in grams of the smallest baby I have seen here (died aged 16 hours).
700 – weight in grams of the smallest baby I have seen survive here (still alive just now and 4 days old – so still a long, long way to go).
2 trips up Sugar Loaf Mountain (one more successful than the other!)
8 tailored dresses
2 tailored Africana outfits
2 tailored tops
3 tailored skirts
2 blood donations (so far – I’m hoping to get in another before I leave)
5 weeks with no running water
13 - highest number of people I have been in a taxi with
84 blog posts (this one included)
Countless - patients, sad memories, happy memories and new friends.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am impressed you know the number of trips to Hamilton. Well done for keeping track. I'm not sure 2 trips to Sugar loaf is accurate :) Two planned trips maybe!
    And, did you get another Africana outfit made? You must send a picture.
    Oh, so sad you're leaving.
    Can't believe you won't be there when I get back.
    Osh ya. (for me. You'll be with Andy!!)
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete