I'm going to Freetown in Sierra Leone in September to work with VSO in the Ola During Children's Hospital. It has very few resources (no X-rays or microbiology!) so will be quite a challenge. Along with looking after sick children I also hope to be training up Sierra Leonean paediatricians and nurses.

Sunday 22 May 2011

A Visit to the Tailor




Having been very jealous of my friends’ gorgeous outfits for the Royal Wedding Party, I decided it was time to finally get to a tailor myself. I was given two bits of material for my birthday so went to see Mr Jalloh to get them made into a dress and a skirt (yes it’s taken me nearly six months to organise myself…!)

Two weeks ago I dropped off the material, discussed the designs and got measured. Yesterday I went to pick up my new creations and I just love them! I asked to try them on (as so many women here wander around in bras or with their boobs out I very nearly just got changed in full view of everyone in the shop but my modesty got the better of me). I was shown to the “changing room”. Marks and Spencer’s it was not. But they fit, and they are so lovely. At Le15,000 (£2.50) for the skirt and Le35,000 for the dress (just over £5 – for an exact copy of a dress I had bought from Monsoon for £60!) they are great value too. I now have lots more ideas of things I’d like to get made – I have a feeling this is going to get quite addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment