I'm going to Freetown in Sierra Leone in September to work with VSO in the Ola During Children's Hospital. It has very few resources (no X-rays or microbiology!) so will be quite a challenge. Along with looking after sick children I also hope to be training up Sierra Leonean paediatricians and nurses.

Sunday 27 March 2011

The Africa Mercy

I had the privilege of visiting the Mercy Ship this week (payment in kind for helping out at the conference last week). The Mercy Ship is a large floating hospital and community; it is docked at government wharf, about half a mile away from the hospital. It is staying in Sierra Leone for nine months and they are carrying out a large number of operations including, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, plastics, cleft lip and palate operations and other max-fax (maxillo-facial) operations.

After a great dinner of Mexican nachos (Red Meat mmmmmm) I was shown around by my host, Matt (an anaesthetist) and got to see the hospital as well as the living areas on the ship. I was a bit google-eyed at all the equipment in the hospital – its probably better equipped than most UK hospitals I’ve worked in! It was nice seeing some well pre-op patients, obviously very grateful for the work the ship is carrying out. It was also interesting seeing the living areas for this large floating community of 400 people, including Starbucks! Very excitingly I got treated to a hot chocolate! Thanks Matt for your hospitality!

PS You will all be pleased to hear that we now have running water at home again, after 3 weeks without, I will try very hard never to take it for granted again!

No comments:

Post a Comment