I'm going to Freetown in Sierra Leone in September to work with VSO in the Ola During Children's Hospital. It has very few resources (no X-rays or microbiology!) so will be quite a challenge. Along with looking after sick children I also hope to be training up Sierra Leonean paediatricians and nurses.

Sunday 16 January 2011

Things I’m thankful for

1) My husband, family and friends at home.
2) My friends and colleagues here in Salone.
3) The internet, slow as it is, at least its reliable enough to keep in touch with people at home.
4) Turning on a tap and seeing water coming out.
5) Flushing toilets.
6) Lights that switch on and fridges that are cold.
7) Malaria prophylaxis.
8) My husband and parents and other friends who have been or are coming to visit – it is so nice to look forward to your visits (and the treats you are taking out for me!)
9) Smiling children and their parents in the hospital.
10) Being able to text friends and family in SL and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment